Professional Contexts began with the print module the aim, to produce a body of prints. We were given a list of themes to start off with, these included; face/emotion, body, memory, place and object. I began in this order, as well as drawing a few things that didn’t fit those categories such as some of my favourite directors and a double page of sketches of my dog.
Whilst talking to Rob about the work I had produced and what would work as a print he thought my Happy and Sad Faces would be best especially seen as they are in a pair and would of course complement each other well. To show me how they might look he printed off some high quality laser jet prints and I really liked how they turned out, so my plan became to print the Happy and Sad Faces in either screen print or riso-print, a new process we had been during the project at Islington Mill by Savwo/John Powell Jones.
Unfortunately I never got around to finishing or even beginning my prints before it was time to move on the the next module, and by then they just slipped my mind. So now, at resubmission time, with no access to a print room or laser printer - or money to pay for any of these resources, I have had to make do with showing mock ups on my Tumblr and printing the highest quality ink jet prints on high quality paper.
If I was to begin the print module again, I would have organised myself better and as soon as I knew what I was going to be printing I would have got myself into the print room and printed as many pieces as i could to ensure that I was giving in my best work possible. Organising myself and speed are the two things I am going to have to work very hard on for my final year.
For my second module I chose Motion, as I have a keen interest in animation and film and wanted to learn more about its process and what tools and programmes one had to use. There were two briefs for this module, I chose the game brief as I thought it had more potential to be fun. For this brief the task was to create a game based on Homelessness (but be light hearted) and to take the format of Donkey Kong for Hidden Voices, a community art project in Wigan who work with several homeless groups.
The first thing I did during the first session was think about what style of game I wanted to create, my choice was a pixel style game but with a modern feel. I then thought of a rough treatment (an ins and outs of how the game would work and what the player had to do).
Then when I got home I decided that I should research homelessness and its causes so I could better inform what featured in my game to make it more authentic. After finding a few things out from the research I decided to add things like; alcohol/drugs, fighting and criminal activity to my game as well as hot drinks, money, food, companionship a home and education. These elements would form the good and the bad objects that the player must either collect or avoid during the game. For the game instructions please click here.
Originally we had been set the task of creating our games in FinalCutPro but I couldn’t get to grips with it on the first lesson. Then unfortunately (and completely my fault) I missed the rest of the sessions therefor ended up creating my game completely using photoshop, from creating the elements to putting the animated level together.
Overall I am happy with what created with the time I gave myself and I really like the finished assists from the game screens to the levels as well as the posters. I think the game works well and more than meets the criteria set by the Hidden Voices project, it illustrates homelessness amongst young people and how easy the trappings of that life can be, as well as staying light hearted, inoffensive and fun.
If I were to begin the motion module again I would make much more of an effort to get myself in and learn as much as I could from the sessions as that is what they are there for. As I have said I am happy with what I produced though I think I could improve it in a few ways. The first being the animation being an actual video instead of a GIF as I didn’t know how to make save an animation in Photoshop as a video. I would also add sound effects and music as well as beginning the animation at the start screen and showing all the screens that the player would have to go through to get to the game. Another little addition I would make is to get the posters printed just as something extra and because I do like the designs.
Again like I said with the print module it is organisation and speed that I really need to work on across the board as well as learning to juggle more than one project at a time.